Wednesday, March 25, 2009

getting knotty!!!

The night of the "happening" was such an amazing experience that I, like I think many others, had a creative hangover. I've said it before, having such a burst of creative energy go through you at such an extensive period of time really can take it's toll on you. On Sunday I found myself laying in bed for hours not wanting to process, think, move even. I needed to recoup!!!

This of course got in the way of my final crit that was happening on Tuesday. I had an idea in my head, but execution was no where to be found. The idea was to map my lovely little "pain-in-the-ass" blackberry for a week. Recording every email and text message going in and out of that silly contraption was easy. Developing the monotonous entanglement that it represents was something else.

So in my state of procrastinated pressure I realized I wanted a way to express the week in a linear form. Thanks to all the hemp rope I bought a year ago for a previous project and never touched, I decided to use that. I tied knots along the rope to represent each text and email I received in a day so that there was space represented between each knot as there is time between each email/text. Then I took colored hemp and tied it in between the knots to represent my responses throughout each day with the time/space idea included as well.

When I was finished I felt a breathe of fresh air, like after a deep meditation. Something was lit within. My class response was great and has me excited to take it to the next level. The weird thing is that my creative hangover from Saturday only lasted a day or so. This is new for me. It encourages me tremendously. I feel like I am acting as this container that is capable of holding the creativity. Like the alchemical vessel that holds the prima materia to cook, I too am cooking. I'm not afraid that the creativity will evaporate and I'll have to start over again. Rather, it's just sitting there, cooking, waiting to be included in the next concept. The beauty of this is that to keep the prima materia cooking one must keep the fire lit. To keep the fire lit one must become fully engulfed in the fire and just let it burn. In other words, staying present to the "heat of the moment" and staying authentic within that allows us to begin transformation.

Intermedia helped this process a lot with all of our projects that encouraged the exploration of different media. I'm so thankful for the process and the witnesses that have made the experience so much more rich.

Here's to the next!

Tina

4 comments:

  1. tina you *must* take a photo of this blackberry piece and post it here! it sounds so great.

    love this sentence: "Like the alchemical vessel that holds the prima materia to cook, I too am cooking."

    i too am feeling that, but i am so unused to sitting with it that i get overwhelmed. but like any meditation, practicing can only help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey.........i forgot to mention that you should check ART:21 ...we have the dvd's in our library......there is a woman that is weaving a monster size rope with clothes from friends and family......it is rad and kind of relates to your piece as she also walks a tight rope which your piece kind of reminded me of

    cheers..........O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the idea of color coding and knotting in a physical/material realm in response to technological overload...ugh, and yes, completely burning bright does not mean evaporating...howhowhow...you found it, responding organically to your "natural state" of not "turning on" you tuned in "authentically" with the blackberry response ( i too would love to see this). As to your final project/presentation- bravo. the mirror/projection evolved into ways unexpected and i was excited by the cohesive, yet exploratory nature of all the work you did in the course. i hope we can work/create work in a class together again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Robbyn! I really loved progressing my words/ideas/images over the course of the quarter and then having an amazing night to actually experience what I had created. As well as, experience others "seeing me." It was an amazing experience.

    I will try to get pictures of my knotted calendar up for you to see soon. Unfortunately, the day I took pictures on my camera (which I left at home), my apartment was broken into and the camera was taken. Boo! But that is why I have renter's insurance so I can go buy an even better camera now!!!

    I hope we have a class together again as well! See ya in the halls!!!

    ReplyDelete