Sunday, March 15, 2009

ideas

So I've been playing with my 4D concepts and have finally settled down to what it is that I want to do. It's not far off from the original concept, but just tweaked a bit!
I want to stay with the idea of projecting photo negatives onto a broken mirror that displays the image on a wall. I think the photo negatives is what has changed the most. Originally I had these negatives that I found at Urban Ore. They were cool and family oriented, which I liked. I like the idea of taking family portraits, family events, images of family and skewing the perspective. I played with the negatives, painted them, scratched, etc., but felt so detached from them. So I went with the idea of using negatives of personal pictures. I went through my mother's giant bin of photos and found a lot that I wanted to use. What I was choosing was pictures that would convey a shift in perspective, a wake up call, with something hidden underneath when projected off of the shattered mirror.
Then my mother remembered old photos that she had turned into slides. They were pictures of my parents before they were married, right after they got married, and when I was a baby. This is what I want to project on a shattered mirror.
However, I'm not sure if the slide projector is available for Saturday. Arg! The only obstacle in my way at the moment. But I figure that I could find one somewhere.
I'm liking the idea of projecting images of this time onto a shattered mirror. And having the images of the beginnings of my family to be so distorted and broken in a way. I like this idea specifically because my parents divorced a little over two years ago. My image of family and marriage have been altered, shattered. This piece will hopefully convey that in some way.

We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. hey tina...

    i am just home from the studio and processing my video of the day and i thought i would check in to see what is happening with our blogs...i am going to miss this opportunity to have a shared group of folks blogging about similar experiences....even though not too many people are really keep up with their blogs....but i digress...

    so there were a couple of thoughts that came up while i was reading your blog....

    one deals with the problem of projection and the thought was that you could use a television set to display the images but situated in such a way that it is either facing away from the viewer so that all they can see is the reflection or encased somehow with the mirror relatively close to the screen so that the viewer has to get up close to see it...the difficulty in the process then reflects your subject matter...the other idea was that if you do have a projector available then you could create some kind of an enclosure for the mirror to live in, perhaps a wall of some kind, that relates to your content...the viewer could be forced to put their head through the hole to see the projection, again relating to the idea of discomfort...or perhaps the hole could be at the height of a child signifying a different perspective...through the eyes of a child...

    just some thoughts...

    there are some t.v.'s in the library equipment closet that could probably be checked out.......

    cheers........O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Otto. I'm going to miss this blogging experience. It's been great to throw ideas and thoughts out there to people who, like you said, are all going through a similar process.

    I was thinking about your ideas last night. Part of the time based experience of my piece that I didn't mention was every seven minutes I am going to change the slide. No matter if I am in conversation, looking at someone's piece or having a drink, I will have a timer go off (vibrating so as not to disrupt other works) and take a few seconds to switch to the next slide and then go about my night. There will be a total of 17-18 slides shown throughout the night.

    I liked your idea about making it more of an intimate experience. Having the viewer look through a "portal" to see the image. Hmmm....I'm not sure how to do that in the space I'm in. I do have the corner, though. Maybe I could drape a dark cloth in the corner, or find a screen to put up. I also had this idea about a tent. However, my tent is a little too small to have a slide projector and the mirror and space to view the image.

    I'll sit with it for today and see what arises.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey....

    i actually saw a plank of wood over at urban ore that had a head area cut out like you would see at a carnival where people would stick their head through and get their picture taken...it might still be there i don't know...

    sounds like you have some interesting challenges to work through...i would say google "camera obscura" just to see if there is anything there that you can steal an idea from...camera obscura's , if you don't already know, where ways to "project" an image on to a wall by setting up a dark room with only one small opening through which light could shine...it would project an image of the world outside...

    good luck...........O.

    ReplyDelete