Thursday, March 19, 2009

plan b

Finally...a few moments to type away.

So I went to school today and played with the slide projector and my shattered mirror. In the few minutes I clicked away at the images on the wall, I began to get this feeling of self doubt. Like it wasn't enough. There needed to be something more, but what?

Upon suggestion, I toyed with the idea of drawing on the wall when the image was projected. Yet, it didn't stick. And/or I wasn't feeling it. The other night in drawing class, Jeremy noted my journaling and how I was using it. For me writing in my journal is a way to release everything onto paper. Lately....as in this whole quarter....I have been loving the altered book. In part, because I can remake something with an established foundation, and the other part is that I can write and write and write and make it into art. I've been overlapping my entries on one page to create a beautiful color scheme, but also because I kind of don't want people reading my shit! This overlapping is something I've been doing for years, ever since I read the Artist's Way. Sometimes stuff just needs to get dumped and it doesn't necessarily need to be seen again or read again, it just becomes something else....a memory, a thought, an acknowledgment.

But back to today and working with the slide projector. I decided that writing on a piece of paper attached to the wall where the image is being projected is very interesting. After experimenting with it, I found that I liked the spontaneity of writing about the image in the moment. Even better is when I left the thought on the wall and went through the following slides (unconsciously arranged, of course) and it all flowed together as well. Awesome!!!

The question for me now is do I stick with one writing and flip through the slides? Do I continue to add writings to each new slide so that the paper on the wall becomes a collage of thought? (I'm leaning towards this one.) Or maybe a combination of both in a period of time?...time being the main purpose of this piece.

Food for thought as always...

2 comments:

  1. interesting stuff, tina. thanks for bringing us into your process.

    regarding the last paragraph, i'm guessing these are rhetorical questions and that you'll figure it out, but for what it's worth i think any of those ideas will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. was the eventual experience of being in "the happening" the place where you answered your question? not sure, but guessing you "felt" what was right, spontaneously in the moment. your piece seemed to respond to the ebb and flow of what was going on in your little corner of the world. it all worked, would like to see it in a different contect, with more action/performace around the writing, ultimately...nice tie in to the 2d presentation, i have not yet seen your journal, so will be excited to see how all of this connects.

    ReplyDelete